- Beauty Complete features Cynatine Keratin FLX® and HNS, novel ingredients designed to improve various aspects of hair and nail growth. A clinical trial testing Cynatine in women demonstrated statistically significant improvements in hair loss, strength, and appearance, as well as nail strength and appearance. Cynatine HNS is derived from premium quality sheep wool to provide natural, soluble, bioavailable keratin.
- Another important ingredient in Beauty Complete is saw palmetto, also called Serenoa repens. This plant is native to the Caribbean Islands and the Southeastern USA. Serenoa contains flavonoids, fatty acids, and sterols which inhibit 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to its more active form, DHT. Therefore, saw palmetto has been used effectively to help reduce the negative effects of excessive androgens (male hormones), including hair loss.
- Horsetail, also called Equisetum arvense, offers a concentrated source of minerals, particularly silica. The trace mineral silica is beneficial for skin, hair, nails, bones, and connective tissue. Silica is an important component of the outer shaft of hair, and hair that is high in silica may fall out less and exhibit more luster.
- Biotin is a B-vitamin co-factor needed for specific enzymatic activity. Biotin deficiency is associated with hair loss and dermatitis. Biotin deficiency may be related to diet, drug interactions, and increased vitamin need in smokers or pregnant women. Biotin has been shown to improve the quality of hair in patients with certain hair disorders.
- Zinc is a mineral with a myriad of uses in the body. Zinc deficiency is clearly associated with some types of hair loss. Zinc may benefit hair health because it helps cells reproduce, and it is involved with important activities in the hair follicle, including inhibiting hair follicle regression and promoting hair follicle recovery.
- Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin that acts as a coenzyme in the synthesis of nucleic acids and in the metabolism of amino acids. Like other B vitamins, deficiency of folate can cause nail, hair, and skin changes. Vitamin C is another water-soluble vitamin that boasts potent antioxidant activity. Vitamin C’s role in hair, skin, and nail health is centered on its role in collagen synthesis, as well as helping to prevent iron deficiency by assisting in the intestinal absorption of iron. (Iron deficiency is a leading cause of hair loss and can also worsen acne.)